2017 marked 33 customer launches and 150% GMV increase
BOSTON, PARIS, LAS VEGAS – March 20, 2018 – Mirakl, the leading global marketplace solutions provider, announced today at Shoptalk record customer go-lives and revenue impact for 2017. In 2017, Mirakl launched 33 customer marketplaces, and customer GMV grew 150% from 2016.
Key developments in 2017 included:
- The launch of the Mirakl Marketplace Platform for Services, allowing customers to add complementary services through third parties to differentiate their brand experience and become a bigger part of the customer journey.
- Marketplace Operation Applications, Mirakl’s category of expertise, was added to Gartner’s Hype Cycle for Digital Commerce, 2017*, where Gartner’s Jason Daigler wrote about the category, “Commerce sites that successfully use marketplace operation applications will acquire an expanded product catalog, which will result in higher customer traffic and more orders. As a result, this technology and strategy has a benefit rating of ‘high.’”
- Sixty percent year-over-year customer count growth, including the signing of five major North American customers from the Internet Retailer Top 100 list, to be announced shortly.
- The launch of many innovative new use cases for Mirakl’s marketplace technology, such as HPE’s successful launch of their B2B online marketplace and Christian Lacroix’s first direct-to-consumer online sales platform.
In addition, Mirakl saw exceptional customer performance in 2017, showcasing the financial impact of the marketplace model and successful implementations:
- 150% GMV growth year of year for Mirakl customers.
- 3X orders on Black Friday 2017 versus 2016, processing 200,000 orders in a single day with zero performance issues.
- 11 million additional active offers through 6,000 additional professional sellers who’ve joined Mirakl’s ecosystem
- The majority of go-lives were completed within four months of becoming Mirakl clients.
Mirakl customer Catch Group, Australia’s top online shopping group, launched their marketplace in four months of meeting Mirakl.
“The fastest way to market for us was to use a SaaS platform and we chose Mirakl,” said Nati Harpaz, CEO, Catch Group. “We looked at building a platform ourselves, but the complexity and lack of experience we had in house from a tech and marketplace point of view meant that working with Mirakl would allow us to launch our marketplace very quickly – our marketplace was quickly generating $1M revenue per week.”
“We’re very impressed by the amount and quality of customers Mirakl has all around the world,” said Gabby Leibovich, co-founder, Catch Group. “Catch is known to be innovative and disruptive and we believe Mirakl is the same.”
Behind the success of Mirakl’s customers are the Mirakl Labs and Client Success teams. Mirakl Labs, Mirakl’s R&D Division, released significant enhancements to Mirakl’s Marketplace Platform, including:
- For B2C customers, highlights include new tax connectors to support Mirakl’s global expansion, security enhancements to support new regulations such as GDPR, and the Mirakl Labs team launched Mirakl Marketplace for Services. Mirakl now offers retailers the ability to add complementary services alongside the products they offer. This allows retailers to become more relevant in the customer journey by connecting them with third party service providers.
- For B2B customers, Mirakl Labs continued to focus on enabling complex B2B sales processes with channel pricing and promotions by channel to ensure B2B companies can bring their complete sales process online via the marketplace model.
In addition to providing expertise via workshops, Mirakl’s Client Success team launched brand new offers to extend their support in marketplace launch and operation:
- Seller recruitment. Mirakl now offers to recruit and onboard sellers for its clients.
- Mirakl University. Mirakl is launching a new program designed to train and certify its clients’ teams and partners on marketplace management.
In 2017 Mirakl saw marketplace sales grab headlines, with Amazon taking over 50% of online sales in the U.S. According to Gartner, “By 2020, more than 50% of online sellers will either list their products on marketplaces or sell third-party products on their core commerce sites.” Mirakl has prepared to support the increased marketplace project volume by enhancing strategic partnerships with SAP Hybris and McFadyen Digital.
In order to support the fast uptake of marketplaces as part of B2C and B2B digital commerce Mirakl has grown headcount 107% from 72 to 150 full time employees in the past two years. As part of that growth Mirakl added several strategic members to the team including Tom Ebling, Demandware’s former CEO, to the Board of Directors; Florian Bressand, former McKinsey Partner, as Chief Operating Officer; Joseph Lee, former SVP, Sales from MyWebGrocer, as Executive Vice President of Sales, Americas; and Marie Best, Former Director of Reporting at Fnac and CFO Fnac Suisse, as Vice President of Finance.
“Last year was an incredible year for Mirakl and its customers. It’s clear the platform revolution has caught on,” said Adrien Nussenbaum, U.S. CEO and co-founder, Mirakl. “We witnessed a transformation in our customers who originally wanted to build a marketplace but have now realized they’re building an ecosystem – inviting more partners to provide more value. This in turn is spurring their customer and revenue growth beyond their initial expectations. We’re very excited to support the successful execution of our customers’ platform business strategies.”
For more information about Mirakl and the Mirakl Marketplace Platform, please visit www.mirakl.com, or stop by Booth #ET63 this week during Shoptalk at the Venetian in Las Vegas.
*Gartner, “Hype Cycle for Digital Commerce, 2017” Mike Lowndes, 31 July 2017.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
 Gartner Inc, 2018 Predicts: New Channels, AI and IoT Shape Future Digital Commerce Strategies, Jason Daigler et al, December 4, 2017
Mirakl gives retailers and brands a fast path to increase customer value by launching an online marketplace. Marketplaces exceed customer expectations by providing broader selection, at better prices, with superior service while respecting your Brand DNA. The Mirakl Marketplace Platform is a turn-key SaaS solution that automates the hard things: Seller onboarding, product data management, service quality control, and order distribution; on an API-based solution that’s modular and easy to integrate into any e-commerce platform. Over 150 customers operating marketplaces in 40 countries trust Mirakl’s proven expertise and technology including Urban Outfitters, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Best Buy Canada, Carrefour, and Walmart Mexico. For more information: www.mirakl.com
Adrienne Newcomb/Greg Earl
Ketner Group Communications (for Mirakl)